Journal Entry for my Skills Notebook, day 2

Friday, April 9, 2010

Today I learned: How to make the classical cut called the tourne. It is a cut that is shaped with seven evenly spaced sections surrounding the vegetable, a TournĂ©e cut is curved and extends from end to end, resulting in a shape similar to a blunt-ended football. It is usually around 2 inches long and ¾” around at the thickest part. I need to get a bird’s beak/tourne knife.

I also asked to make sure that the ratio is 5 lbs of bones to 1 lb of mirepoix. That is a correct ratio.

We also dropped stock. We learned how to skim the scum off the top and how to strain the stock through a china cap lined with cheesecloth. We cooled the stock in smaller quantities in an ice bath and also used ice wands to speed the process up.




Personal observations: The tourne cut was difficult for me. I finally got a good one at the end, but I definitely am going to need to practice this one more. I am going to try to get a bird’s beak knife soon, as that apparently makes it easier. Curtis, Natane, and I were sous chefs again this week. It comes with a lot of responsibility. It gave me a little more confidence, though. I never really see myself as a leader, but when it comes down to it, I really am. I need to change my way of thinking when it comes to that. A lot of it is about your attitude and confidence level, I think. I stress myself out about things before hand, but in the moment I end up being able to step up to the plate and complete whatever it was 99% of the time. I look forward to seeing that side of me grow.

I am also trying to work out a way to join the competition club. It seems like an excellent opportunity and something I would really enjoy. Marc *my husband* is supportive, but it’s more of a time issue. He goes on call at 5pm, has to be at his first call at 6pm on Tuesdays and the club is from 4-5. It is AT 5pm the first meeting. So we are going to try to shuffle some things around, but it’s really all up to his boss.

0 comments:

Now This Is Life... Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template for Bie Blogger Template Vector by DaPino