American Regional Week 6

Monday, May 16, 2011

Let's start out by saying that this week was an insanely busy week. I began my new job at Nipper's Beach Grill last Monday and began training in the restaurant this week. I will be posting a separate post about this later. The point of mentioning it now is that Thursday was the Food Show where all the plates of food were put up for us to see so we would know how Chef Kenny Gilbert wanted things plated. It was a terribly important day. That being said, I was supposed to be at the restaurant at 10AM. This was a problem because I am supposed to be in American Regional from 6:30 to 11:30 or 12 depending on the day. I contacted Chef Ridsdale about it, and he said it would probably work out, but I could tell he was NOT happy.

So Thursday I made the dough for a deep dish pizza for the whole group. We each were to make a pizza and top it and bake it off. In addition to that, we were to make sausage, and a German potato salad because it needed to sit overnight. I was the first to get my dough in the proof box to rise, and then I sauteed up the pepperoni and sausage that was to go inside. I had been on the girl assigned to make the pizza sauce to get going on it immediately but she was piddling around and didn't even have the sauce on the stove by the time I was ready to assemble my pizza...and the sauce needed to simmer 30 minutes. Thankfully another table had their sauce going and let me have enough for my pizza. The difference in a Chicago Deep Dish pizza and a regular pizza is that the toppings are put on it a different order. First cheese goes down, then sauce, then toppings, then cheese, sauce, and then a tiny garnish of cheese on top. I popped it in the oven and cleaned up and got changed while I waited for it to bake. Out it came and off I went. I didn't even get to eat any of it but Kandice said it was yummy. I believe her.

Friday I got to stay the whole class, but Chef had me testing out recipes for a team for Competition Club. I was to follow their recipes and see what needed clarification in the directions or ingredients. I was chosen because I am so detail oriented. I prepared a Mango BBQ Sauce, Baby Back Ribs, Candied Collard Greens, Curried Potato Salad, and for dessert I prepared a Pecan and White Pepper Ice Cream with Fried Peaches and a Raspberry Sauce. I didn't get pictures of it because A.) I didn't like how the dessert plate came out, and B.) Chef took the plates to get photos of and didn't get them back in time.

So no photos this week. I will definitely get some next week, though!

0 comments:

Now This Is Life... Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template for Bie Blogger Template Vector by DaPino