Lemon Pound Cake

Sunday, March 28, 2010


I just had to share this lemon pound cake that I got from Tartelette. I made it twice because I didn't love the glaze that the original recipe called for the first time around. So I made a few changes and am in LOVE with the way it turned out the second time around.

Original Recipe:
Ultimate Pound Cake, adapted from Lori Longbotham:

Serves 12 (in theory)

2 3/4 cups all purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
3 sticks unsalted butter at room temperature
2 1/4 cups sugar
6 large eggs
1 cup milk
1 1/2 TB lemon zest
1 tsp. pure lemon extract
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice

Preheat oven to 300F. Butter and flour a 12 cup Bundt pan.
Sift the flour, baking owder and salt together twice.
Cream the butter and 1 3/4 cups sugar until pale and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Reduce the speed and add the flour mixture, alternating with the milk, beginning and ending with the flou. Stir in the lemon zest and lemon extract.
Pour the batter into the prepared apn and bake for 1 1/2 hours, or until a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean. Let cool in the pan for 15 minutes. Poke holes all over the cake with a wooden skewer
Meanwhile, bring the lemon juice and remaininf sugar to a boil over medium high heat in a small saucepan, stirring until the sugar is dissolved.
Invert the cake onto a rack, position over a baking sheet and slowly pour the syrup over the cake, it will seap through the holes and into the cake. Let cool to room temp.





My changes:
Into the actual cake, I added an additional Tb of lemon zest and an additional tsp of lemon extract.

Also, instead of doing the glaze, I made a buttercream with 2 sticks of butter and...um...some powdered sugar *I just eyeballed it* It wasn't super thick like frosting, but not runny like glaze, either. Somewhere in between. I added the juice from 2 lemons and about 2-3 Tb cream. It was still spreadable. After the cake sat in the pan for about 20 minutes right out of the oven, I dumped it onto a wire rack over a cookie sheet and generously spread about 2/3 of the frosting on the cake. The heat from the cake melted it a little and made it run down the cake. I kept scooping it up and putting it back on the top. *I hadn't poked holes in the cake fyi* I let it set for a bit *an hour or so* then I took the rest of the frosting and added a little lemon extract and water to thin it out. I poured it over the cake and let it sit. I sprinkled the top with lemon zest and powdered sugar and let it set up into a harder "shell". SO GOOD. When I cut into the cake, the first batch of frosting had seeped into the top of the cake which is exactly what I wanted. So dense and moist and...just awesome. And the zest really added a whole other level to it. :)



On another note, I am done with my first quarter of school. I definitely have 2 A's and am fairly confident I will end with an A in my last class, as well. I will enjoy a weeks break, but I am also excited to get into my second quarter. There will be all new goodies to post in a week and a half. I may post some home made things, but I may not. We will see how the week goes.

0 comments:

Now This Is Life... Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template for Bie Blogger Template Vector by DaPino